Saturday 19 September 2009

Testing Windows 7

So, there is a release candidate of Windows 7 out. I want to test this by using it in a virtual machine. It installs fine, but will not see the VMWare network, audio or USB drivers. Goddammit.

To solve the network problem you need to ensure that you are using the e1000 virtual hardware. In order words, your .vmx file needs to include:
ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000"

To get the USB working, you need to ensure that both scsi and ehci are running, with these lines in your .vmx file
scsi0.present = "TRUE"
scsi0.pciSlotNumber = "18"
ehci.present = "TRUE"
ehci.pciSlotNumber = "19"

I have no fucking idea how to get the audio to work.

[UPDATE]
This software fucking hates me. Once I had setup all of the above, USB worked flawlessly in the Virtual Machine. However, once I shut it down and restarted, it was fubarred. I checked the .vmx file and found to my horror that the .pciSlotNumbers for scsi- and ehci were now '-1'. Brilliant, why the fuck has it done that? Solution - change it back to the text above and WRITE PROTECT the .vmx file. Job done.

No comments:

Post a Comment